Join online info-sessions about English taught programmes
Are you interested to learn more about the English taught programmes and about studying in Brussels at VUB? VUB organises online info sessions per programme. Book/Join a session via: this link.
When disaster strikes, being able to gather specific people, knowledge and material resources in the right place at the right time can make all the difference between life and death. Acquire the specific set of knowledge, insight and skills to organise such resources.
What do you learn on this advanced master's programme?
The inter-university and international course is aimed at all postgraduate health professionals involved in health disaster management and humanitarian health response at local, national and international level.
The EMDM is supported by international organizations and scientific societies with interest in disaster medicine and humanitarian health:
- European Society for Emergency Medicine (EuSEM)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)
The EMDM faculty is a unique group of international professionals, who has acquired field experience in large-scale natural and technological disasters, complex humanitarian emergencies and armed conflicts, mass casualty incidents and terrorist attacks, affiliated with academic and worldwide renowned institutions.
The EMDM consists of:
- A one-year e-learning course
- A two-week residential session in Novara (Italy)
- A final online examination
- The writing and defense of a Master’s thesis based on a research study
- The composition of an International Faculty of qualified professionals in disaster medicine and humanitarian health coming from European and extra-European countries, affiliated with academic and worldwide renowned institutions.
- The multinational composition of the EMDM classes. Since inception students from over 75 nations, spread over the 5 continents have attended the course;
- The bilateral agreements between the Organizing Universities, CRIMEDIM of the Università del Piemonte Orientale (Novara, Italy) and ReGEDiM of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (Brussels, Belgium), and the Associate Universities and Institutions such as the Center for Disaster Medical Sciences at the University of California Irvine (Irvine, US), Hôpitaux Universitaires de Genève (Geneva, Switzerland), Katastrofmedicinskt Centrum (Linköping, Sweden), Hacettepe University (Ankara, Turkey), School of Nursing & Human Sciences at Dublin City University (Dublin, Ireland).
- The support of international organizations such as the World Health Organization (WHO), Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) and the European Society for Emergency Medicine (EuSEM);
- The high-level academic profile of the Strategic Management Board and the Education Committee, which are responsible for the elaboration, review and evaluation of the program.
- The international network of disaster medicine professionals established in the EMDM Alumni Association.