The aim of Environmental Science and Protection Bachelor's study programme is to develop the knowledge and practical skills required for environmental specialist to perform environmental monitoring and assessment, analyse natural and anthropogenic environmental and climate changes, their impact on living organisms and ecosystems, and to select solutions for environmental impact mitigation according to the principles of sustainable development and environmental policy.
Graduates will be able to:
- Define the main natural and anthropogenic components of the environment, their interaction and anthropogenic impact on the environment.
- Apply fundamental and integrated environmental and sustainability knowledge, different theoretical and analytical methods explaining environmental impact, its drivers and suggesting solutions for environmental problems at different scales.
- Employ fundamental and innovative environmental research equipment and analytical software for data collection, processing and analysis.
- Apply quantitative and qualitative research methods for environmental monitoring and assessment of the state of the environment and its changes driven by anthropogenic activity.
- Analyse short-term and long-term environmental and climate changes data and trends, determining their reasons and formulating conclusions.
- Critically evaluate environmental data from different sources to assess the impact of economic activities on the environment and society and to select proper sustainability-based political, administrative, economic, and technical solutions for environmental impact mitigation.
- Apply statistical, geoinformatics analysis and modelling of multidisciplinary data for environmental problems assessment and management.
- Design and conduct desk, field and laboratory environmental research study applying professional knowledge and particular methods to assess the effects on environment and society.
- Communicate with professionals and the public on environmental and sustainability topics and decisions made after taking into consideration legal documents, professional ethics, personal and professional responsibility, and incorporating the needs and views of stakeholders.
- Work individually and in teams searching for and analysing information about the environmental and sustainability issues, formulating and presenting conclusions to target and non-target audience.
The obtained qualification provides employment opportunities in different state institutions related to environmental issues (Ministry of Environment and other ministries, environmental protection agencies, state services for protected areas, divisions of Environmental Protection and related enterprises of municipalities (waste, wastewater management), etc.), in laboratories of environmental monitoring, environmental non-governmental organizations (NGO’s) and in different enterprises and international companies as ecologists and environmental protection specialists.