The Postgraduate Certificate / Diploma/MEd in Autism and Learning aims to give practitioners an in-depth understanding of the condition and an insight into the workings of the autistic mind. It will equip participants with practical approaches and interventions that will enable children, young people and adults on the autism spectrum access to learning, participate actively, experience success, gain independence, and fulfill their potential.
The aims of the programme are:
- To develop knowledge and critical understanding of the concept of inclusion and associated principles of equality, social justice, participation and partnership.
- To develop a deep understanding of the complex conceptual issues in Autism, and the key theories, principles and issues in the field.
- To critically evaluate current research in the field.
- To critically review strategies and approaches and their evidence base.
- To develop collaborative partnerships with individuals on the spectrum, parents, colleagues and other agencies.
- To use acquired knowledge and understanding of autism to reflect critically upon practice.
- To apply acquired knowledge and understanding of autism to formulate effective support for learners on the spectrum.
- To conduct professional enquiries and use research evidence to generate professional knowledge and enhance understanding and practice
- To apply acquired knowledge and understanding of autism to contribute to staff development and school / workplace improvement.