Our excellent training for the electronics and electrical engineering industry offers plenty of practical experience, state-of-the-art equipment, and close cooperation with industry.
You will learn everything you need to know about embedded software and hardware development, system architectures, system-on-chip, data analysis and machine learning for a successful future career. As a future engineer, you will design intelligent software and reliable hardware in order to integrate artificial intelligence into chips, vehicles, factories, and many other innovative products.
There are four application deadlines for students from EU countries, the EEA and Switzerland: 20 March 2024, 30 April 2024, 3 June 2024 and 1 July 2024.
International students from third countries are given the opportunity to apply in winter. In their case, the application deadline for the academic year is 22 January 2024. Copies of all authenticated documents must be submitted together with the application.
The MSc Embedded Systems Engineering offers comprehensive training in embedded software and hardware development, system architectures, and machine learning. With state-of-the-art equipment and close cooperation with industry leaders like AT&S, Infineon, NXP and many others, you’ll have the opportunity for internships, part-time jobs, and hands-on experience with pioneering technology projects.
Our degree programme takes an overwhelmingly practice-oriented approach. Students work in small groups in excellently equipped laboratories, ensuring they receive individual supervision and plenty of hands-on experience. Moreover, study and in-person attendance is scheduled between Wednesday and Friday, giving students the opportunity to gain additional experience by working part-time for a company in the industry.
Key subject areas:
- Innovative. Agile software and hardware development: The high level of complexity of intelligent electronics requires new approaches to product development. You will learn about the latest methods and principles of agile software and hardware development, allowing you to develop products in a flexible and iterative manner. You will design quality assured, reliable software and hardware for a dynamic world.
- AI. Machine learning and data analysis: You will deepen your understanding of statistical methods and data analysis in order to develop data-driven solutions for a variety of applications. You will learn to understand and apply advanced machine learning techniques and algorithms to extract patterns and insights from large datasets.
- High-tech. System-on-chip design: Today’s integrated circuits combine a multiplicity of functions on a single chip, making them a “system on a chip”. You will gain a thorough grounding in microelectronics and microprocessor technology, so that you can design and validate complex and powerful chips.
- High-performance. Real-time computing: Real-time responses to inputs and events are critical for applications such as autonomous driving, industrial automation and energy networks. You will study modern computer and software architectures for embedded systems, enabling you to use machine learning and signal processing algorithms to process large volumes of data with minimal delay.
- Master’s Thesis & Scientific Work: In your Master’s thesis you will carry out research in your specialised field and present the results in a scientific manner.
Study at FH Joanneum:
- Industry Collaboration and Job Opportunities: Our close collaboration with local industry and high-tech research centers provides an ideal platform for networking and professional growth. With over a hundred cooperation partners, you’ll have numerous opportunities to engage with industry professionals and work on real-world projects. Learn more about the many high-tech companies located in Austria.
- Flexible Study Schedule: Understanding the importance of practical experience, our programs are designed to accommodate part-time jobs. Courses are scheduled from Wednesday to Friday, allowing you to balance study with work.
- Vibrant Graz: As a student in Graz, you’ll experience a city known for its rich cultural heritage, dynamic atmosphere, and beautiful landscapes. It's the perfect setting to inspire innovation and creativity. Watch below a 4k Video of Graz in winter.
- Application Deadline for International Students: For international students, please note that the application deadline is 22 January 2024 for a start in October 2024. We encourage you to apply early to secure your place in these exciting programs.
- Semester abroad: Future employers place great value on an integrated education, which is rounded off by a semester abroad. Students in the Institute of Electronic Engineering, therefore, have the opportunity of writing their Master's thesis during their fourth semester spent abroad.