Benefits of the Polar and Marine Sciences Master:
- The course offers insights into polar and marine ecology, oceanography, geology and climate change.
- The students stand a chance to engage with expeditions on board of the leading German and Russian research vessels.
- Upon completion the students receive a double degree: Master degree of St Petersburg University and Master of Sciences of the University of Hamburg.
- POMOR is the only educational programme in natural sciences at SPbU, accredited by ASIIN e.V.
Graduates will acquire these key skills:
- Ability to apply modern technologies in marine studies;
- Knowledge about marine sedimentation linked to polar climate change;
- Ability to interpret paleo-oceanography data;
- Understanding of the main principles and regularities of the World ocean as a global system;
- Ability to apply the main conceptual approaches of ecosystems modelling and use the results of mathematical ecosystems modelling;
- Argmented knowledge of the structure, functioning and vulnerability of polar and marine ecosystems;
- Skills in using the methods of geophysical data processing and interpretation;
- Knowledge of the natural (incl. mineral) resources of polar and marine regions of the earth.
The students are equipped with the best of a diverse range of opportunities for polar and marine sciences, locally, nationally and globally. They can pursue academic research in the top Russian and world’s research institutions in climate studies, oceanology, hydrology, biology, geology, paleography, geomorphology and polar geography.